You do not need a doctor’s referral to see us, however, there are a number of federally funded programs that may enable you to see one of our Dietitians at no cost to you (for a limited number of consultations). We therefore suggest that you discuss this with your GP prior to making an appointment to see us.
If you have been referred by your GP then they should have given you some referral paperwork including our contact details. Although the phone number varies from practice to practice, our central phone number – 1300 652 620 – is the best number to ring to ensure that we can book you in at your preferred location and time.
Our Dietitians currently consult with clients at the following locations, however, we will be adding other locations to meet the growing demand:
- Forster Tuncurry Medical Centre (Forster)
- Tobwabba Aboriginal Medical Service (Forster)
- Pacific Palms Medical Centre (Blueys Beach)
- Intalink Therapy Solutions (Taree)
- Biripi Aboriginal Medical Service (Taree)
- Access Health (Wingham)
- Gloucester Medical Centre (Gloucester)
- Bulahdelah Hospital (Bulahdelah)
- Ochre Health Medical Centre (Tea Gardens)
- Williams Valley Pharmacy (Dungog)
- Grandstand Sports Injury Clinic (Merewether, Newcastle).
An extended initial consultation generally lasts 60 minutes or longer, depending on the complexity of your dietary needs. A standard initial consultation usually takes 45 minutes, whilst a standard follow-up consultation is typically 30 minutes. Of course, the duration of the consultation will depend on your needs and requirements.
The fees will depend on how you have been referred to us.
Many of our clients are referred to us through the Priority Allied Health Services (PAHS) program, or through relevant Medicare (Team Care Arrangements) and Department of Veteran Affairs (Gold Card) initiatives. There are no fees for these types of consultations, and eligibility conditions apply, so you will need to check with your doctor in the first instance.
Where no appropriate funding body covers a consultation, then fees will apply as follows:
- $150 for an extended initial consultation,
- $120 for a standard initial consultation, and
- $90 for a standard follow-up consultation.
Most private health funds will subsidise consultations with an Accredited Practising Dietitian. Check your health fund for your eligibility.