Unsuspecting IBS sufferers need to be aware that many gluten-free foods are full of FODMAPs
Some gluten-free grains are low in FODMAPs, but people need to be aware that many gluten-free foods are full of FODMAPs. A dietitian can help you to navigate the maze of gluten-free vs low FODMAP options.
Out of interest, I have checked the ingredients in a range of gluten-free foods like this one for a popular gluten-free cereal. The high FODMAP ingredients are highlighted in italics.
Dried Fruits (36%) (Sultanas, Apricots, Apples), Gluten-Free Cereal Blend (32%) [Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Maize (Corn) Flour, Soya Flour, Almond Meal, Honey, Apple Juice Concentrate], Cashews
I have come up with a list of gluten-free FODMAP full foods (with their offending ingredients in brackets/italics). What are some others that you are aware of? Yes, it is a long list! If you still have gut problems when eating gluten-free, this might be why.
- Gluten-free muesli bars or fruit bars (apple, dried fruit, honey, juice concentrate)
- Gluten-free flavoured rice cakes (onion powder, garlic powder)
- Gluten-free bread (chick pea flour, soya flour)
- Gluten-free raisin/fruit loaf (dried fruit)
- Gluten-free muesli (cashews, dried fruit, fruit juice concentrate)
- Gluten-free cereal flakes (dried fruit, fruit juice concentrate or honey)
- Gluten-free rice crackers (onion powder, garlic powder)
- Gluten-free frozen meals (onion, garlic, high FODMAP vegetables, dairy)
- Gluten-free choc chip cookies (milk chocolate, chick pea flour)
- Gluten-free sugar free biscuits (mannitol, maltitol)
- Gluten-free flour (soya flour, chickpea flour, lentil flour)
- Gluten-free dressings and sauces (garlic, balsamic vinegar)
- Gluten-free friands (almond meal, honey)
- Flourless orange syrup cake (almond meal)
- Gluten-free biscuits (chick pea flour)
- Gluten-free banana bread (honey)
- Gluten-free pizza bases (onion, garlic)
- Gluten-free nut spread (almonds, cashews)
- Gluten-free sticky date pudding (dates, honey)
- Gluten-free meat pies (onion, garlic)
- Gluten-free apple pie (apple)
- Gluten-free pappadums (lentil flour)
- Gluten-free chocolate (milk, cream).
Make a booking for a video consultation with one of gut health dietitians.